Melbourne Airport (also known as Tullamarine) is an international airport located on the northwestern edge of greater Melbourne. It’s about 24 kilometres from the Crowne Plaza hotel, in the heart of the city. To drive between the two takes about 25 minutes during off-peak hours, and up to 35 minutes during rush hour.
Melbourne’s streets can get chaotic, especially if you’re a tourist encountering a dreaded hook turn. If you’re staying at the Crowne Plaza and would rather a stress-free trip to and from the airport, Car Australia can provide you with a quality, affordable chauffeur-driven service, picking you up directly from the hotel and the airport. Our chauffeurs know the quickest routes through the city, and can pick you up in a suitably sized vehicle, depending on your group size (we carry groups of up to 20). We ensure that our cars are environmentally friendly too, to keep our carbon footprint low.
You can book a Car Australia vehicle using our app, on our website, or by giving us a call. We’re available 24/7 and can pick you up as early or late as you need.
More vehicle types available from our partner Hughes:
Big on style and performance, we have some of the world’s truly great sedans including BMW, Mercedes and Audi luxury models.
- Book Via Hughes
Luxury finally meets size. Come and experience our market-leading large coach service. Fantastic coach drivers perfectly match our new fleet of coaches.
- Book Via Hughes
Crowne Plaza to Melbourne Airport: A travel guide
Take advantage of our travel guide to help you plan your journey from Melbourne Airport to Crowne Plaza.
Pick Up and Other Information
Getting from Crowne Plaza to Melbourne Airport
Driving from Crowne Plaza to Melbourne Airport takes up to 35 minutes in rush hour, and about 10 minutes quicker during quieter periods. If you’d prefer to use public transport, the SkyBus service runs from Southern Cross Station to the airport, and costs about $15 for a ticket. This alternative is much slower than a car though, and gets extremely busy.
Melbourne Airport terminals
Melbourne Airport has four terminals, which are broken down as follows:
- T1—this is the domestic terminal, with flights for Qantas only.
- T2—this terminal is for international travellers, with flights for a massive range of airlines, including Qantas, Air China, Emirates, Etihad, Fiji Airways, Japan Airlines, Jetstar, and Malaysia Airlines. Check out the full list here.
- T3—terminal 3 is domestic, and provides flights for Virgin Australia, REX Airlines, and Skywest.
- T4—this terminal is also domestic, with flights for Jetstar only.
Melbourne Airport parking and pick-up
Melbourne Airport offers three different parking options:
- Value Car Park—this long-term car park costs just $12 a day. It’s off-site, so is reached with a free courtesy bus that runs from 4 am to 1 am. It’s perfect for budget-conscious travellers, and includes plenty of disability bays.
- Terminal Car Park—this is close to the terminals, so is a lot more expensive than the value car park: $15 per hour for up to three hours. But if you’re stopping for less than 15 minutes, it’s free. The car park is fully undercover, and contains plenty of disabled spaces. This is a good option for short hourly stays, like when you’re meeting someone at the arrivals gate.
- Premium Car Park—premium parking has a number of different options—self park, business, and valet parking—each more expensive than the last. They’re all located directly next to the airport’s terminals, so are the most convenient way to park.
If you’re picking someone up or dropping them off, you have a few options:
- Terminal Car Park—free if you’re quicker than 15 minutes!
- Pick-up zone—there’s a brief 1-minute time limit to collect someone from the pick-up zone at the front of T2, so make sure they’re ready to go when you arrive.
- Drop-off zone—you can quickly drop off passengers in front of T2, with a one-minute timeframe.
- Wait zone—if you’re collecting someone who isn’t quite ready, the airport provides a designated wait zone on Mercer Drive. You can stop for free for up to 30 minutes, and then $4 for the half hour after that. If you stay for longer, the airport will charge the same prices as the Terminal Car Park: $15 per hour.
Melbourne Airport facilities
As Australia’s second biggest airport, Melbourne Airport has superb facilities that will keep you busy for your stay. You can catch up on some sport in the AFL Kitchen & Bar, which even has a big screen outside if you don’t fancy going in. If you’re hungry, you can grab a tasty burger at Grill’d, a basket of dim sims at Hawker Bar, or a burrito at Salsa’s Fresh Mex. There’s also the customary shops, luggage storage, foreign exchange booths, and pharmacies.
If you’re an airline club member, there’s lounges for Virgin, Qantas, REX, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Air New Zealand, and Emirates.
The nearest hotel to Melbourne Airport is the 4-star Park Royal, located directly opposite T2, with just a minute’s walk between them.
The Crowne Plaza hotel in Melbourne is a luxury 4-star establishment with a swimming pool, meeting rooms, and a restaurant and bar to relax in. It’s located in the Docklands suburb in the centre of the city, on the north bank of the Yarra River.