How much can you really see and do in a day? Whether you’re travelling to Sydney for business, or a local with time on your hands, there are plenty of ways to discover Sydney and surrounds in just one day. Here are some exciting suggestions for day trips from Sydney.
Day trips from Sydney you will never forget
Hit the road and get ready for an adventure! These day trips within hours of Sydney allow you to refresh your body and mind, experience something new and get away from ‘the big smoke’ for awhile. Go exploring on your own, or let the experienced chauffeurs from Car Australia take you there in style!
Be inspired by the world heritage-listed Blue Mountains. Situated on the outskirts of Sydney, the Blue Mountains region is full of breathtaking views, bushwalks and waterfalls. There is so much to see and so many options; here are some of the most popular.
- The Three Sisters – This spectacular landmark is a rock formation located at Echo Point. Get up close to the sisters by exploring the walking track. Or, if you prefer to view from the platform, you can simply stop in the nearby car park and look across the valley towards the natural icons.
- Scenic World – If you are passionate about nature then you will love Scenic World. It’s a theme park that takes you right into rainforests, valley and waterfalls.
- Jenolan Caves – Explore the limestone caves and learn about their history. These incredible cave formations will WOW you from the second you arrive.
Time it takes to get there from Sydney: Approx. 2 hours.
People often discount Canberra as ‘day trip worthy’. If this is you, you are missing out! Canberra has so much to discover and enjoy.
- Parliament House – If you have kids, this is a must see. Help them understand Australia’s political system and history. You might even be lucky enough to see the PM in action during question time in the House Of Representatives.
- Australian War Memorial – This museum offers free self-guided tours and the historical building alone is stunning. Listen to stories about the ANZACs, WW1, WW2 and even modern day war before setting your eyes upon historical artefacts.
- Australian Botanic Gardens – Whether you want a romantic walk or a casual stroll with the family, this is the perfect place. You can easily spend hours enjoying the native plants, rock gardens and rain forest walk. If you prefer something a little more time consuming and strenuous, then head to the summit of the Black Mountain. It takes approximately half a day, so get there early! It’s well worth the climb.
Time it takes to get there from Sydney: Approx. 3 hours.
As the name suggests, the Central Coast is famous for its beautiful beaches and relaxed coastal towns. If escaping the hustle and bustle is how you want to spend your day, this is where you should go!
- Beaches – Umina Beach, Avoca Beach and Ettalong Beach are among the most popular but don’t forget about Lake Munmorah just down the road. It is the perfect way to escape the stresses of day to day life and soak up the sunshine. Lay out a picnic, read a book and go for an easy stroll to see the blow holes. If a swim is more up your alley, any of the beaches mentioned, in addition to Frazer Beach, are perfect!
- Food – Where there’s beaches there’s good food, and the Central Coast doesn’t disappoint. Whether you are after a wood-fired pizza, fish and chips or something a bit fancier, The Entrance has it!
Time it takes to get there from Sydney: Approx. 1 hour.
Grand Pacific Drive
Grand Pacific Drive is not so much a location, as an experience. This 140km road trip will have you amazed by the beauty just down the road from Sydney.
Soak in the views of golden beaches, Bald Hill Lookout, Stanwell Tops and of course the Sea Cliff Bridge. This scenic drive starts at the Royal National Park in Sydney and heads along the coast. Make sure you stop to enjoy some of the spectacular places along the way. If you’re travelling with Car Australia, ask our drivers for their local knowledge about the best stop off points.
Time it takes to get there from Sydney: Approx. 1 hour 20 minutes.
The Hunter Valley is one of the most popular day trip destinations from Sydney. Why? Because it has so much to offer locals and tourists and has something for every interest.
- Wineries – The Hunter Valley has more wineries than you will be able to taste test in a day. This naturally means you will have to return to try the rest. Why not book a tour and have them drive you and your friends to and from the vineyards?
- Hunter Valley Gardens – If beautifully landscaped gardens are your slice of heaven then you will be in awe of the incredible sights and smells at the Hunter Valley Gardens. The gardens are perfect for families as well thanks to the charming Story Book Garden. Here you will find a vast range of fairy tale characters and themes brought to life and the kids just love it!When you have finished exploring the gardens, wander over to the Village Shops and enjoy the best coffee and handcrafted chocolates while the kids play in the fenced playground.
- Beaches – Nearby Newcastle beaches put on a show daily for visitors with wide open spaces to set up a picnic or even just sunbake. If surfing is high on your list of interests than grab your board and ride the waves!
Time it takes to get there from Sydney: Approx. 2 hours.
Head away for the day and discover something new. See different surroundings. Try a new experience. Live a little! These day trips from Sydney will get you started and leave you wanting more.
Contact the professional team at Car Australia about taking day trips from Sydney in style TODAY!